Monday, February 8, 2010

Be Not a Victim.

I've spent the last few days thinking about what to write today. Coming off of last week where I had a clear direction and my mind was in sync with my heart and the words just came. Today I am tired. My mind is slow and foggy. And my kid is having a bad day at school. I could probably fill this post with my Monday complaints but I am sure you don't want to hear it. In fact, I don't want to hear it from myself.

Sigh. Sip the Coffee.

Sigh.

The thing of it is that we all have struggles, no matter what day of the week it is. We all have moments where our attitude is kind of sucky, where someone is a jerk to us, where we make a bad decision and the consequences are tough to deal with. No one's life is harder or more stressful than anyone else's life. It just is what it is.

The difference is how we choose to deal with the tough times.

It is so easy to be all "Life is good" and "Bless God" when things are going your way. When your bank account is full, your house is clean and all your appliances work. When your kids are healthy, you've had a good night's rest and your spouse is being considerate. That is when staying positive is a cake walk. But have a health scare, a financial crisis or a conflict in a relationship and then let's see your reaction.

I believe it comes down one choice. To be a victim or not to be a victim. That is the question.

The victim throws a tantrum, screams at God, wallows and pitches a tent in the middle of the crisis and stays there waiting for someone else to rescue them. The victim has no sense of their own power. No inkling that they are strong enough to come through and survive. They need a revelation of who they are and what they are capable of. Everyone could use a hand of support in a rough time but no one should rely solely on the strength of another person to survive.

When you decide not to be a victim of circumstance you give yourself permission to be smart and strong and capable. You take power from the situation and put it back in your own hands. You say to God, "I can do it if You show me how." You become responsible for your own future. And very best of all, you decide to move past the crisis and keep living.

Today, on this foggy minded distracted Monday I want to let you know that you can. You Can. You can rise above. You are strong enough to walk through the storm. You are more than what is happening around you, to you. You are a Survivor. A Thriver.

I just thought you should know.

No comments:

Post a Comment